It’s now time to Kill the timesheet – It’s killing you
Seriously You must kill them in your firm. Now.
And I don’t mean just stop using them for pricing – that is a step. But it’s nowhere near good enough. Don’t think that we now are menu pricing or even giving fixed prices that this is sufficient. You must get rid of the timesheet – and you must do it now.
The timesheet just has no place in a knowledge firm. The timesheet is the insidious device that is killing your business and killing you. As a well-respected and award-winning Australian lawyer said just a few weeks ago — it is self-evidently insane.
Lets be really honest with each other – everybody hates them – you, your team (it’s killing them too) AND your clients. Try this as a measure of just how deep the issue is: depression amongst the professions is 4 times the national average. Yes … 4 TIMES.
The timesheet creates a crazy set of behaviours in your firm that means that your business is being choked and so are you. The timesheet :-
- Rewards time spent and NOTHING else. It simply does not reward insight
- Rewards inexperience, inefficiency and even incompetence
- Encourages hoarding of work
- Means that work expands to fill the time available
- Fosters a focus on totally the wrong things
- Penalizes technological advances
- Creates paperwork nightmares
- It has absolute ZERO relevance to the customer — none whatever
- Forces people to be busy
- Means that everybody is in opposition – you, your team and the customer
But all of these reasons don’t really get to the crucial issue. The timesheet means that you become slaves to the clock. The chains of the timesheet bind you and your team. It means increased turnover of your team, low morale, absenteeism, ineffectiveness, neglect of business development and an inability to attract the brightest talent. And the impact on your ‘bottom line’ is killing that too.
But it can all be summed by the phrase – the timesheet is killing you from within.
Also once again just for added emphasis, the timesheet is limiting your income as well.
The timesheet is used as a management tool but is incredibly useless in doing that. If you are interesting in Killing the Timesheet we will work with you to show you :-
- Why the timesheet is killing your business
- Why you cannot keep the timesheet even though you are doing fixed prices
- What replaces the timesheet
- How you manage the team when you don’t have time sheets
- How you manage the jobs
- How to harness the creativity of your team
- Project Management Tools
...and ultimately you’re free to kill the timesheet and revolutionise your firm – making more money and enjoying more freedom.
If you want to know how to Kill the Timesheet in your firm